[Radiance-openstudio] OpenStudio on OSX 10.8

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Fri Nov 16 10:07:33 PST 2012

Hi Khalid,

You are right, metric was a poor choice of words regarding the DF. I also
agree that tools should allow architects to quickly estimate the impacts
of their designs, and that controls are crucial to any daylighting system
delivering a cost-effective solution. But lighting controls cannot be
simulated with a DF analysis because the performance of such systems is
highly dependent on actual daylight distributions within a space. This is
the main driver for us in integrating Radiance with OpenStudio (and, in
turn, EnergyPlus).

It is our hope that eventually OpenStudio will make it relatively painless
to do a much more thorough daylighting analysis than EnergyPlus is capable
of on its own.

Rob Guglielmetti
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Commercial Buildings Research Group
15013 Denver West Parkway MS:RSF202
Golden, CO 80401
303.275.4319