[Radiance-general] Understanding rvu options

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Tue Jan 30 13:04:22 PST 2018

What you're seeing makes sense to me, that the quality of rendering relies more on ambient calculation parameters when the calculation is 100% diffuse/ambient light, without a direct light source.

You also seem to be moving the parameters in the direction of higher accuracy and longer rendering time so shouldn't be detracting from validity.

As for reading materials, I'm sure lots of people could make suggestions. The book Rendering with Radiance is likely a top suggestion. Also, here's a presentation that I recently re-discovered from a past annual workshop:
https://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2011-berkeley-ca/presentations/day1/JM_AmbientCalculation.pdf

Actually you could browse all the past workshop presentations for relevant materials, although I'm not sure how easy it will be to judge them by the titles.
https://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops

Regards,
Chris