[Radiance-general] Understanding rvu options

Dion Moult dion at thinkmoult.com
Tue Jan 30 12:41:04 PST 2018

Dear radiance-general,

I'm trying to fully understand all the options provided by rvu. This was brought
up in a simple scene test I am trying out.

The scene definition is as such, with a sunny sky: https://pastebin.com/VWcmgmR4
Which produces this image: https://ibin.co/3q18YxSiOc2C.png

But when I change gensky to a cloudy sky: https://pastebin.com/swR7MFhu
I get this: https://ibin.co/3q18v7qVrDXc.png

In order to get the leaves actually rendering and to get the shadows of the
leaves less splotchy, I've had to increase -ps to 1 and -ar to 2048. My full
options are -ab 2 -ad 4096 -ar 2048 -ps 1. Is this the right approach?

I feel guilty that I am adjusting these parameters to get a more "believable"
image without fully understanding it -- I might compromise the validity of the
simulation (although yes, the material in this test is nonsense, of course).

Where can I read to learn more about the mechanics of Radiance and its options
(in more detail than the man pages, and preferrably not hard math, as that is
not my strength) so that I can better understand the knobs I am turning?

Kind regards,

--
Dion Moult