[Radiance-general] A modern comparison of Radiance and other rendering engines

Rob Guglielmetti rob.guglielmetti at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 08:50:55 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 2:56 AM, Jan Walter <jdb.walter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> nice that someone still stumbles upon my images and render comparisons ;-)

Thanks for this, Jan (and thanks to Dion for starting this thread)!

This question comes up regularly. Since I work with energy modelers a lot,
I'm often asked "why don't you 'just' use (renderer_x) instead of Radiance,
everyone in architecture uses Revit, everyone uses GPUs and Revit and (all
the Rays) to make these awesome images, Radiance is all blotchy and takes
forever, and besides, my energy model runs in five minutes for an annual
simulation with 15-minite timesteps, blah blah blah..."

It's so refreshing to see someone who gets it. The validation issue is
huge, and we all owe a debt of gratitude to John Mardaljevec for the
initial validation of Radiance, but the whole small community of dedicated
users of Radiance also get to take a bow for rolling up their sleeves and
learning how Radiance and GI work. And the reason I rolled up my sleeves is
because I saw Radiance as one of a fery few tools out there that offered
realistic images but also the photometric truth. There is no money in this,
unfortunately, and it speaks to a larger issue in BOTH the architecture AND
the illumination engineering industries, but I digress.

Greg's account of the demise of Lightscape is even more generous that what
actually happened. When Autodesk bought Lightscape from Discreet Logic (the
original purchasers of Lightscape from the founders), it was immediately
absorbed into their "3DStudio Viz" product, aimed at architects wanting to
make nice pictures while being able to say their images are "correct",
"accurate", etc. Well, the first beta of Viz included Lightscape's
renderer, but the render-as-falsecolor option was unceremoniously removed.
This was the first thing I noticed, since I actually used Lightscape as an
illumination engineering tool. I (and others on the beta test team) brought
this up, and the falsecolor option was added by the next release candidate.
This one provided falsecolor images, but _with no scale legend_. Useless.
For me, the writing was on the wall, even before version 1.0 of 3DS Viz
with "Lightscape Inside" ever saw the light of day. I think Lightscape's
awesome radiosity renderer lasted one year in the Autodesk Death Star.

In the US, Agi32 soldiers on as an excellent, primarily radiosity-based
lighting simulation tool. But it definitely lacks the portability and
modularity that Roland alluded to, and while validated, it also is closed
source. But it's far better than the soup of renderers that Jan has
compared for us, if you're interested in, let's call it, photometric
verisimilitude.

Jan, your efforts are awesome, and I thank you for them. I'm not sure how
much Carsten Bauer follows this list any more, but he did port Radiance to
C++ (in an attempt to better learn C++), in his "Radzilla" project. Similar
to your PBRT-to-Rust effort.

The last thing I wanted to mention in all of this is that while Radiance IS
validated, all that demonstrated is that Greg's raytracing implementation
CAN work, and give accurate, credible results. But every model is an
opportunity for the simulationist to screw that all up with garbage for
input, or garbage for simulation parameters. And again, it's the
simulationist who questions the results who is drawn to Radiance in the
first place. That's why this community is so amazing.

- Rob