[Radiance-general] A modern comparison of Radiance and other rendering engines

Jan Walter jdb.walter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:56:04 PST 2018

Hi,

nice that someone still stumbles upon my images and render comparisons ;-)

> I also stumbled upon this comparison website:
> https://www.janwalter.org/RadianceVsYouNameIt/radiance_vs_younameit.html

To compare renderers is a really time consuming task and each renderer
is changing
over time, so one picture rendered today might look different in a 1/2
years time.
And to really be able to compare those renderers with some confidence
you must know
about all their parameters etc. A task which I like to spend my time
on, but still after all
those years doing it, I don't want to publish too many details, but
rather make people
download some files, install renderers and try for themselves.

But here are some thoughts:

- Radiance did have a huge impact on other renderers (and that we have
HDR and OpenEXR).
  That's why I called that comparison somewhat ironically Radiance vs.
YouNameIt. Some people
   got all the fame, but me and some others are old enough to remember
where things came from ...
- Other things which slowely made it into other renderers: Sun & sky
simulations, suddenly with HDR
  you could end up with over- or underexposed images -> exposure
control -> camera controls/settings
  which mimick real cameras etc. In the film world you had LUTs, now
everybody somehow/somewhat
  deals with color correction. All of this makes it hard to end up
with a "similar" image.
- Sure, other renderers are more user friendly, and there is/was some
money to make. I would say
   that integration into a DCC tool is sometimes more important for
the success of a renderer than
   the quality of the resulting images. For my tests I was using
Blender (most of the time):
   https://bitbucket.org/wahn/blender-add-ons (the io_scene_multi
contains Python scripts for
   Arnold, Indigo, Luxrender/PBRT, mental ray, Maxwell, Radiance, and
RenderMan compliant).
   None of this is production ready, I add only things I need
personally to do the next step and render
   the next comparison images ... and Blender has Cycles now, which
changes a lot:
   https://www.cycles-renderer.org/
- I started to collect Blender scenes (and scene descriptions for
various renderers) here:
  https://github.com/wahn/export_multi ... as you may notice some of
those scenes come from
  Radiance. I had to write an importer first, parse Radiance files,
store them in some renderer
  independent format which does not loose the provided information,
bring that into Blender and find
  tricks to e.g. keep primitives like spheres as those in case the
renderer in question can handle those
  directly. Use someheuristics to mimic material settings etc. ...
- After a while the git repository got too big, the files too large,
the scenes/textures too big/many ...
  So now I provide download links for scenes in various formats:
https://www.janwalter.org/download/
  All of them originate from a Blender scene, but I update them from
time to time and all of this is meant
  to make it easier for somebody else to just download the files for a
particular renderer without having
  to deal with Blender etc.
- Finally I started converting PBRT's C++ code to Rust (
https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/ ) as a
  learning experience. Maybe someone wants to do that for Radiance one
day. Rust seems to be a fun language
  with safe multi-threading etc. Here is the current state (and a bit
of history about last year's development):
  https://www.janwalter.org/jekyll/review/2017/2018/01/01/happy-new-year-2018.html

Anyway, comparing renderers is really hard. Radiance is about being
accurate, others might look good and might be easier to play with. My
interest is in using Radiance (and others) for reference and try to
create similar looking images. Compare rendering times etc. An ever
changing world ... Here I was playing with false colors etc.:
https://www.janwalter.org/jekyll/rendering/radiance/2015/10/02/classroom-radiance_falsecolor.html
But I'm not an expert user of Radiance. Most of the people on this
list know much more about it.

I just wanted to give Radiance some credit for all the things which
made it into other renderers.

My 2 cents,

Jan