[Radiance-general] A modern comparison of Radiance and other rendering engines

Roland Schregle roland.schregle at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 11:37:15 PST 2018

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:44:09 +0100, Germán Molina Larrain
<germolinal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I agree with Lars in everything, but I also want to add some things:
>
>    1. I believe that, for scientific use of daylight simulations, you
> need extensive numerical validation. Some renders are not focused on
> that,

Numeric output is indeed a rare feature of commercial renderers, coupled
with the UNIX-y way of processing it in pipes by chaining modules. And
exactly this modular nature distinguishes RADIANCE, as it is really a
suite of independent tools rather than one monolithic chunk of software;
the charm/challenge lies in putting it all together for the task at hand.
By contrast, modular commercial renderers use plug-ins, which generally
cannot be used independently. You can of course argue that such software
is better integrated than RADIANCE, and that's a definite plus in some
application contexts.

A final point that hasn't been brought up is portability. Commercial
software may be portable to some degree but is generally optimised for its
target platform -- usually Windows. RADIANCE's code, by contrast, uses
lowest-common-denominator functionality which you'll find on even the most
rudimentary platform. While this precludes the use of more modern
programming paradigms (yeah, I've b*tched about the lack of OOP), it also
ensures it will probably run unmodified on even the most basic or arcane
UNIX-y thing, should you choose to do so. I used to compile RADIANCE on
SunOS, IRIX and HP-UX before I even got my first Linux box, and it'll
probably still compile there today, however useful/less that may be. This
may be a moot point to those who've never seen the code, but it reinforces
Greg's argument for constancy as opposed to radical changes on each
release of a commercial package.

My 2¢ worth...

--Roland