[Radiance-general] Color definition in Plastic material

J. Alstan Jakubiec alstan at jakubiec.net
Mon Jan 23 07:12:17 PST 2017

Hi Germán, Xiaoming,

Thank you both for pointing this out and having me go back to check the
work on specular materials. I indeed made a pretty critical mistake by
momentarily forgetting the tricky procedural nature of Radiance
materials... and then never noticing. This is rather a shame after
spending a long time getting a trans material just perfect earlier in
the week. First of all, big apologies for the mistake. All diffuse
materials, metals, and the specialized PV materials should be correct on
the website. Things with specularity will have some errors, and I will
fix this soon.

In the interim, the specularity and total reflectance values on the
website are correct, and you can fix individual R, G or B coefficients
with a little math:

(R_Website - Specularity_Website) / (1-Specularity_Website) = R

So in the case of the material referenced earlier
<http://www.lighting-materials.com/materials/648>,

R = (0.3517 - 0.0218) / (1 - 0.0218) = 0.3373
G = (0.3480 - 0.0218) / (1 - 0.0218) = 0.3335
B = (0.3313 - 0.0218) / (1 - 0.0218) = 0.3164

Again, I apologize for the mistake. I will post a public message here
when all is corrected on the website.

Germán, I owe you a separate e-mail and will reply soon afterwards :).

Xiaoming, to answer your question: If you want a 50% diffuse and 10%
specular material, then indeed the R/G/B coefficients are 0.5556 and the
specularity is 0.1 as far as I understand the functioning of the
material models. Germán, R_specular is simply equal to the specularity
in the plastic material. In that sense, Red, Green and Blue are not the
total reflection (that's the mistake I made). Rather they represent the
percentage of the leftover light after specular reflection that is then
reflected diffusely.
R_diffuse = 0.5556*(1-0.1) = 0.5
R_specular = 0.1
R_total = R_diffuse + R_specular