[Radiance-general] Color definition in Plastic material

Kolomenski, Andrei (JSC-SF311)[WYLE LABORATORIES, INC.] andrei.kolomenski at nasa.gov
Tue Jan 24 07:17:14 PST 2017

Hello All,

Thank you for sharing a link to the http://www.lighting-materials.com/ database. This is a useful reference to have.

I want to understand how R_reflectance, G_reflectance, B_reflectance are calculated, as defined for a material in the online database. Can someone please explain how these were calculated? Is the Radiance RGB triplet (as obtained from xyz_rgb.cal) simply scaled by total reflectance to obtain these?

Radiance 5.0 official release contains a script, colorcal.csh, does this script convert spectral reflectance straight to a RGB material primitive definition, or does the resulting RGB triplet need to be scaled by total or diffuse reflectance?

As I understand from previous posts for the red channel, R_material definition = (R_website - Specularity_website) / (1 - Specularity_website). Can someone please clarify how R_website was determined.

I want to clearly understand how a Radiance material definition is generated from spectral reflectance.

Thank you for the help,
Andrei Kolomenski

From: J. Alstan Jakubiec [mailto:alstan at jakubiec.net]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:12 AM
To: radiance-general at radiance-online.org
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Color definition in Plastic material

Hi Germán, Xiaoming,

Thank you both for pointing this out and having me go back to check the work on specular materials. I indeed made a pretty critical mistake by momentarily forgetting the tricky procedural nature of Radiance materials... and then never noticing. This is rather a shame after spending a long time getting a trans material just perfect earlier in the week. First of all, big apologies for the mistake. All diffuse materials, metals, and the specialized PV materials should be correct on the website. Things with specularity will have some errors, and I will fix this soon.

In the interim, the specularity and total reflectance values on the website are correct, and you can fix individual R, G or B coefficients with a little math:

(R_Website - Specularity_Website) / (1-Specularity_Website) = R
So in the case of the material referenced earlier<http://www.lighting-materials.com/materials/648>,

R = (0.3517 - 0.0218) / (1 - 0.0218) = 0.3373
G = (0.3480 - 0.0218) / (1 - 0.0218) = 0.3335
B = (0.3313 - 0.0218) / (1 - 0.0218) = 0.3164

Again, I apologize for the mistake. I will post a public message here when all is corrected on the website.

Germán, I owe you a separate e-mail and will reply soon afterwards :).

Xiaoming, to answer your question: If you want a 50% diffuse and 10% specular material, then indeed the R/G/B coefficients are 0.5556 and the specularity is 0.1 as far as I understand the functioning of the material models. Germán, R_specular is simply equal to the specularity in the plastic material. In that sense, Red, Green and Blue are not the total reflection (that's the mistake I made). Rather they represent the percentage of the leftover light after specular reflection that is then reflected diffusely.
R_diffuse = 0.5556*(1-0.1) = 0.5
R_specular = 0.1
R_total = R_diffuse + R_specular

Best,