[Radiance-general] sudo recontrib

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Mar 15 06:03:41 PDT 2016

Dear Urtza,

two comments on your installation - this should be solved before you
even start using a complicated combination of commands such as the
three-phase method.

First, with a correct configuration of your system you will not need to
run rcontrib as super-user (sudo). Your regular user account just needs
read-access to the .dat and .cal files in this case, so why would you
not grant the proper permissions?

Second, as rcontrib is not found, what makes you think it is installed?
Did you install Radiance from sources, did the build complete without
errors, and did you include the directory containing the binaries in
your PATH environment variable? Does any other Radiance command work for
you?

I would recommend having a look at Axel Jacob's set of tutorials first,
including the unix-introduction. Otherwise you risk messing up a lot of
your models with work-arounds, and even risk the integrity of your
system by using sudo where it should definitively not be applied.

Cheers, Lars.