[Radiance-general] sudo recontrib

urtza.uriarte at upc.edu urtza.uriarte at upc.edu
Tue Mar 15 09:19:01 PDT 2016

  Dear Lars,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I tried with Five-Phase method earlier and all command worked. However, now
I exported the model from Rhino and I have some materials that they need
two specific files. I do not why they do not run without sudo, placing
where there are others, as well (They keep always the padlock, I copy there
from DIVA's files. They are not from radiance package previously
installed). I use oconv, rtrace and rpict with sudo and they work without
problem. Nervertheless, if using sudo is not good I remove those materials
and I could use rcontrib without sudo.

Thank you for your suggestions. I read Axel Jacob's tutorials but rereading
will be fine.
Best regards for you,
Urtza.

"Lars O. Grobe" <grobe at gmx.net> escribió:

> Dear Urtza,
>
> two comments on your installation - this should be solved before you
> even start using a complicated combination of commands such as the
> three-phase method.
>
> First, with a correct configuration of your system you will not need to
> run rcontrib as super-user (sudo). Your regular user account just needs
> read-access to the .dat and .cal files in this case, so why would you
> not grant the proper permissions?
>
> Second, as rcontrib is not found, what makes you think it is installed?
> Did you install Radiance from sources, did the build complete without
> errors, and did you include the directory containing the binaries in
> your PATH environment variable? Does any other Radiance command work for
> you?
>
> I would recommend having a look at Axel Jacob's set of tutorials first,
> including the unix-introduction. Otherwise you risk messing up a lot of
> your models with work-arounds, and even risk the integrity of your
> system by using sudo where it should definitively not be applied.
>
> Cheers, Lars.

  Dear experts,

I am trying with Three-Phase Method for Simulating Complex Fenestration,
following A McNeil tutorial.

I am using Ubuntu 14 OS. I need use sudo command because I have
GenericTranslucent20.dat material and rang.cal that they are locked anyway.
However, when I have launched sudo rcontrib, it scripts that:

sudo rcontrib -f /usr/share/radiance/klems_int.cal -b
'kbin(-sqrt(.5),sqrt(.5),0,0,0,1)' -bn Nkbins -m windowglow -I+ -ab 2 -ad
512 -lw 2e-5 sc-vi3M_vmx.oct < sc-vi3M.pts > photocells.vmx

sudo: rcontrib: command not found

Could someone say what the problem is? Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Urtza.