[Radiance-general] Irradiation on standing subject with Radiance

Ruggiero Guida ruggiero.guida at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 04:06:46 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the total radiation on a standing subject using
Radiance rtrace, but I am a bit stuck.

The first approach that comes to mind is to integrate over an idealised
vertical discretized cylinder, but this would be too computationally
expensive. I have to do the same calculation for several locations.

The second approach that comes to mind is to apply a bulk reduction factor,
but this would not be very accurate in the presence of direct radiation or
anisotropic diffuse radiation.

A third way could be to use rtrace to calculate the contribution to the
irradiation from the various sky patches and use the projection factor for
each one of them. As far as I understand though, rtrace provides the total
directional irradiation on an ideal surface placed in the point of interest
and perpendicular to the ray under examination. This corresponds to the
radiation generated from the portion of the sky visible from the surface.

Has anyone tried something similar? Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks
Ruggiero