[Radiance-general] Trans Rendering Issue

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:35:31 PDT 2015

Hi Garry,

This is probably one for the FAQ.  The "-i" option to rpict has special behavior for glass and trans surfaces, which are normally used to represent transparent materials.  I decided it was not very useful to visualize irradiance (or illuminance) on such surfaces, so my hack has rays just go right through them, allowing you to see whatever is on the other side.  This is not what everyone expects, however.

Rob Guglielmetti has this post showing the workaround if you really want to get irradiance on all of the first-intersected surfaces:

	http://www.rumblestrip.org/2003/03/19/rendering-falsecolor-on-glass-with-vwrays/

Cheers,
-Greg