[Radiance-general] REVIT to Radiance pipeline

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Nov 12 07:47:12 PST 2015

Hi Rob,

So this is interesting. I have been working with Revit for awhile now,
both in terms of taking Revit models that clients have developed as well
as using Revit for developing models from scratch. By far the best
workflow that I have worked out is to use Revit->Max Design->Radiance
via obj export from Max Design and obj2rad in Radiance.

There are a couple of workflow options from Revit to Max that are pretty
tightly coupled in the software. There are also a variety of scripts
already developed for exporting from Max to obj format in a variety of
ways. The presumption here is that people who use Revit are in fact
using one of Autodesk's Suites, such as the Building Design Suite which
at one level includes Max. If you are using Revit within a suite via
Autodesk subscription the cost for moving up to get access to Max is
incremental.

In my mind the big challenge for workflow from Revit to Radiance is the
fact that glass in Revit is modeled as a volumetric object (eg it has
thickness). There are work arounds to this that leverage Revit's Family
system however they are not without their catches. In brief, a Revit
model that is going to be exported for use in Radiance must give careful
consideration to how glazing elements are handled through a set of
customized families that allow for extracting selected faces from the
glass to create the surface glass geometry that Radiance requires. Again
this can be done with some thought to modeling methods in Revit and
coupled with an export pipeline that includes  Max and exporting to obj
format.

Another issue that requires some thought is managing lights that are
deployed in Revit, which would be nice to manage as instances in
Radiance. There are some similar strategies that can be used with
careful thought to using the Family model in Revit.

This has been something I have been thinking about doing a blog post on,
so perhaps this would be a good time assuming I can find the time....

As far as writing a custom exporter from Revit, I think this would
really be dependent on what the desired functionality would be. If the
functionality is really one way geometry export then, I think the
(annual) incremental cost for upgrading from the standard building
design suite to the premium suite is ~$250.

Best,

-Jack de Valpine