[Radiance-general] REVIT to Radiance pipeline

Randolph M. Fritz rmfritz3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 06:05:36 PST 2015

Now, when I did this, I ended up using the export to DWG and working on the
resulting model in Rhino; a colleague did the same with SketchtUp.  The
general problem I found with exports from Revit is that one gets hugely
more information than one needs, resulting in a large and unwieldy model
which must be simplified for effective simulation. For simple models,
sometimes it is easier to refer to plan and section drawings and rebuild
the model entirely!

An excellent custom exporter is most likely possible. Revit keeps a huge
amount of information about the details of its models, and it seems to me
that in principle it is possible to do a thorough and accurate Radiance
export of any part of a Revit model. Revit exposes some of its internals
with a Python interface, and there are also tools like BIMlink (Ideate
Software) which provides access to Revit's internal databases through
Excel. However, developing dedicated Revit <-> Radiance export tools seems
to me likely to be expensive and hence would probably have to be done as a
commercial product. At least, I wouldn't want to try it without good
funding — extensive knowledge of Revit would be required, and that
information is not available for free.

--
Randolph