[Radiance-general] [help] steps on daylight coefficient based climate-based daylight metrics calculation

David Davidson this.is.david.davidson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 23:24:16 PST 2014

Dear list,

I wonder if anybody can kindly help to provide a *step-by-step guidance on
how to use Radiance to conduct daylight coefficient based "climate-based
daylight metrics" *such as Daylight Autonomy, Daylight Availability,
Continuous Daylight Autonomy or Useful Daylight Illuminance.

I know that there are several papers explaining the concept and process,
and DIVA-for-Rhino is the tool for this. But I just wan to understand *each
step of the calculation under the hood*.

I want to digest *a breakdown of the process, *maybe in the form of a shell
script file (Unix) or batch file (Windows), which explains each of the key
steps and the Radiance programs and respective parameters used, such as how
daylight coefficient of a given sensor is calculated and by which Radiance
program, when the gendaymtx and rcontrib are used and what are their
functions, and what is generated in each step and how it is used in later
steps, etc.

I have a simple scene prepared describing a simple room with south facing
window and some shading blinds. The scene file, material file and sensor
file are shared in the following link:

Material definitions:
https://sites.google.com/site/thisisthedaviddavidson/files/materials.mat?attredirects=0&d=1

scene description:
https://sites.google.com/site/thisisthedaviddavidson/files/scene.rad?attredirects=0&d=1

sensor file:
https://sites.google.com/site/thisisthedaviddavidson/files/sensor.pts?attredirects=0&d=1

I hope you can give me some guidances using this simple example!

Thank you!

David