[Radiance-general] Daylight matrix - vu

Vayia Koukouvayia vaia13 at msn.com
Thu Jul 31 04:53:12 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I am trying to simulate light pipes with the
three phase method. Since the pipes are not straight I need to be sure that the
vectors I set are correct and I am a bit confused about what the “vu” vector
stands for. So here is what I did.

The room with the pipes is oriented towards
the northeast and the pipe bending is towards the southwest. I generated the BSDF through a model where the pipe
bending part is facing towards the –y axis.  I attached a small picture to make it clearer. So here are some of my questions.

What should the "vu" be at the daylight matrix?
I am not sure which axis of the BSDF corresponds to the “vu”. My guess is that “vu” should be 1, 1, 0 or 1, -1, 0? Should the pipe
model from which I generate the BSDF be correctly oriented as well?

Is there any way to have the model of the
room oriented towards the north (y axis) and then set the correct orientation
via the “vu” or some other way?
I thank you in advance,
Vayia