[Radiance-general] Trans material sample with dynamic daylight simulation (rcontrib)

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 24 09:31:24 PDT 2013

I don't have a sample project you can run, but I can offer some advice:

A standard daylight coefficient run with a trans material (or BSDF) is
finicky because the the sky is sampled stochastically without regard to the
position of the sun.  If your sampling density is low or you use a high
resolution sky descretization scheme you might not fully sample the sky,
missing patches.  If the sun happens to be in a missed patch your result
will under estimate the illuminance.

I'd recommend using high -ad parameter, low -lw parameter and use the
tregenza sky (not reinhart).  Or better yet, use the 3-phase method.

I'd recommend running a few static sky conditions with rtrace to compare
with your DDS results.

Andy