[Radiance-general] usage of rtrace within a material

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:08:04 PST 2013

Hi Lars,

The physics of this situation is unusual, and the Radiance source code does apply a correction for the "solid angle ratio" caused by lensing at the surface.  However, Radiance doesn't track source directions properly inside a dielectric or through a refracting object -- it naively sends rays in a straight line towards the source, missing it in cases where significant refraction occurs.  This is why a straight ambient calculation works but the direct calculation does not.

Cheers,
-Greg