[Radiance-general] usage of rtrace within a material

Wendelin.Sprenger at ise.fraunhofer.de Wendelin.Sprenger at ise.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jan 31 08:56:14 PST 2013

Dear Lars,

I had the same problem approximately two years ago: rtrace -I does not
give you the right answer when being applied after a dielectric surface.
With the -i option of rtrace, I do not have any experience.
I suggest a workaround for your problem. As you did, I would chose a
dielectric surface followed by a plastic surface. For rtrace -I inside a
material, in theory the integral

E = int [ L cos(theta_m) d Omega_m ]

has to be calculated, m naming the angles inside the material.
Unfortunately, at least the specular path does not remember the light
refraction for the rtrace -I calculation. However, if you substitute the
angles in the integral by the old ones before the material, rtrace -I
works. The substitution theta_m=arcsin(n1/n2*theta), including
cos(theta_m)=sqrt[1-sin^2(theta_m)], leads to a complicated integral that
finally can be simplified to

E = n1^2/n2^2 int [ L cos(theta) d Omega ]

rtrace -I only calculates this integral. With the correction factor
n1^2/n2^2, the rtrace -I results can be applied.
The ambient path, however, seems to work perfectly without any correction
factor.
I haven't done any research on what is exactly going on in the source
codes. However, the results are fine.
I do not have an answer for your third question.

Cheers,
Wendelin