[Radiance-general] Strange results

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 08:15:59 PST 2013

Hi Catarina!
> My name is Catarina and I am trying to perform a lightning simulation
> with Desktop Radiance.
As far as I know, Desktop Radiance has not been supported for several
year. This list is on Radiance, which shares some underlying code with
the old Desktop Radiance, but has seen continous development over the
years. I suggest that you stop using Desktop Radiance and either go with
"pure" Radiance (which means to get into touch with the command-line
tools Radiance is made of) or one of the various frontends. Daysim,
Relux, the Blender-Integration as well as several integrations in more
general building simulation systems are among the options in the latter
case.
> I think I followed all the necessary steps to insert my model:
> - Design the geometry (its a simple cube, with the dimensions 5*5*2.8,
> and a window);
> - Attach materials to the surfaces;
> - Insert the luminaire;
> - Define a gride (I am using the reference grid simualation);
> - Define the orientation.
>
> After that, I perform the simulation but the results are very high (I
> obtain values for illuminance around 14000 or higher). Additionally,
> the lightning distribution around the room does not make sense. I have
> low values in some points and very high value in other.
It is almost impossible to give any useful comment here, as we do not
know the model (geometry), the material properties or the luminaire,
plus we have unsupported code. From what you wrote, you do not have any
daylight in your scene - still, the values you observe could indicate
that you have a sky model that you are not aware of, and measure
illuminance where your sensor gets hit by direct sunlight.

Still, a very generic hint - if you observe funny results in your
illuminance simulation, take a "look" using a more "natural" camera
setting with a luminance calculation. This helps to identify problems in
the model (missing ceilings, coordinate systems where one would not
expect them to be located related to the camera, funny overlaps of
surfaces, ...). Still - Desktop Radiance is for historical interest but
not for simulation work any more.
> I read something in your site about the optics 5 software. I have
> already install it and uninstall and the results remain awkward.
Optics 5 is a tool to find transmission properties of multi-layer
glazings. You can import these into Radiance - but Optics does not
somehow interfere with Radiance, and is a separate software.

Cheers, Lars.