[Radiance-general] Radiance's optics

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Wed Nov 28 11:42:03 PST 2012

Hi Germán,

Radiance (the software) does indeed work in radiometric values at its core, and the 179*(blah blah blah) is a valid conversion to illuminance. If you have very saturated colors in your model, I suppose they could throw off the calculation, but I think it'd take a lot to affect the accuracy. That said, this is why I do all of my modeling in greyscale, and use the "white" light source color for all electric lights.

There are a bunch of posts in the archives about this topic, and doing a higher resolution spectral rendering, and the validity of the 179 multiplier (which is somewhat arbitrary, but as long as you use that same multiplier going in each direction, you should be good to go.

Rob Guglielmetti
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Commercial Buildings Research Group
15013 Denver West Parkway MS:RSF202
Golden, CO 80401
303.275.4319