[Radiance-general] Radiance's optics

Germán Molina Larrain gmolina1 at uc.cl
Wed Nov 28 11:26:19 PST 2012

Hello Radiancers,

I am a new Radiance user/developer, and I am working on the calculation of
Solar Heat Gain through complex fenestration systems. I started learning
Radiance some time ago, and just an hour ago, a pretty obvious doubt came
to my mind:

If RADIANCE uses the RGB optical properties (that is, visible spectrum, I
suppose); how comes that it calculates the Radiance instead of Illuminance?
If the materials change the spectrum of the radiation in every bounce, how
is it possible to just use the classic "179*(0,265*R+0,67*G+0,065*B)" to
compute the illuminance?

THANKS VERY MUCH

Germán Molina

PS: Sorry to bother with rookie questions, but I am the only person in my
University using RADIANCE.