[Radiance-general] ra_gif: out of memory error

Marija Velickovic maricanis at gmail.com
Wed May 16 06:38:01 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to convert radiance image to gif and getting strange error.
command: *ra_gif -n 20 input.hdr output.gif*
error: *ra_gif: out of memory
*output image: *invalid image with size 0

*If I try the same command without -n option no error *
*command: *ra_gif  input.hdr output.gif**
*output image: *expected output image*

Other info that may be of use in error source determination

   - Original Radiance image resolution is quite unusual  -Y 500 +X 7
   - I've tried to change values of -n option, and for this image options
   n<=5 don't produce error and options n>5 give the same error
   - ra_gif works without problems with any -n option, if I use other image
   with more 'normal' aspect ratio
   - I've tried few ra_gif executables, in Windows and Linux and all give
   the same result.

For -n option in manual there is a description:
"The *-n* option specifies a sampling factor for neural network color
quantization. This value should be between 1 and 80, where 1 takes the
longest and produces the best results in small areas of the image."
So I've chosen 20, as some optimal value to get good gif images and not too
long time.
I thought that lower -n values would require more memory, but in this case
they give correct results, and higher values give memory error.

Not sure what can be the source of the problem.

Any ideas?
Marija