[Radiance-general] rvu exposure setting

Tim Perry tim.v2.0 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:40:52 PDT 2012

Dear Stefano, et al,

My rendering pipeline often contains a call to pfilt to set the exposure as
if the picture was taken with a particular fstop and exposure. Look at this
reference:
http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/refer/Notes/filmspeed.html

Here is the example from that site. You can see the "1/60" and "4" in the
call to ev. Very handy.

So, if you were trying to produce an image as it would appear shot at 1/60
sec. on ASA 100 (ISO 21) film at f-4, you would apply pfilt thusly:

	pfilt -1 -e `ev "2.81*1/60*21/4^2"` raw.pic > fin.pic

Hope that helps,
Tim

PS: here it is in action. Note I do not save the original file and direct
standard error to /dev/null. Both of these are probably a bad idea.

 rpict $VIEWPOINT \
                       -ps 1 -pt 0.15 -pj 0.6 \
                       -dj 0.7 -ds 0.5 -dt -0.5 -dc 0.75 -dr 1 -dp 256 \
                       -ss 0.3 -st 0.02 \
                       -ab 3  -aa 0.05 -ar 64 -ad 2048 -as 1024 \
                       -lr 4 -lw 0.0001 \
                       -x 2500 -y 2500 \
                       clock.oct 2> /dev/null \
                           | pfilt -1 -e `ev "2.81*1/60*21/4^2"` -x /4 -y
/4 -r 0.6 > $filtFile