[Radiance-general] using turbidity in gensky

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:02:59 PDT 2011

Hi David,

It may seem counterintuitive, but the way gensky works is that the solar intensity is unaffected by turbidity.  Decreasing turbidity actually reduces the sky zenith brightness using a simple model, which makes sense since no atmosphere would look like a night sky even in the daytime.  Thus, since we don't properly account for the loss in solar intensity as turbidity is reduced, the total illuminance goes up.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't bother with the turbidity setting at all.  Since it only affects the default sky brightness and not the sky distribution, it makes more sense to control these values directly using any of the -b, -B, -r, or -R options for setting radiance or irradiance.

Best,
-Greg