[Radiance-general] rad -n and -N parameters / switches

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Thu Jun 16 12:07:33 PDT 2011

The thread is veering off topic, but I can't resist chiming in...

I'm not sure that OSX has any true advantage over Ubuntu or maybe another modern user friendly linux distribution purely for Radiance usage. The only advantage I see to OSX over linux is that it's more popular, so you'll see more frequent pre-compiled binaries floating around - for Radiance itself and any tools that users develop. On the other hand, linux has a strong advantage in terms of lower barrier to entry - it is cheaper to buy/inherit any old desktop box and install Ubuntu on it than to get a hold of a top notch Mac machine. It is even quite possible to set up an existing Windows machine to dual-boot into Ubuntu as necessary. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Windows implementation has the lowest barrier to entry in most cases, but shortfalls such as no file locking, X11 support, friendliness for programming/scripting, etc. On the other hand some common modeling tools such as Autodesk products are Windows native - so could avoid additional machines.