[Radiance-general] Glare Calculation

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 18 05:24:06 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:49 AM, alexis Loubeyre <aloubeyre2 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jack and Thomas,
>
> Thank you for your help, I tried evalglare yesterday and he worked well.
> But regarding my results have got couple of questions:
>
> - i'm doing a glare study for an office (10m depth). I think glare will not
> be a problem for a person located at 9m away from the window, isn't it?
> - when my calculation is completed, i've 2 warnings messages:
>         low brightness scene
>         vertical illumiance < 380 lux.

If you assume a standard workplace lighting level you could
introduce artificial lighting to raise the vertical illuminance to
500 lux. Evalglare might be happier with that (or it expects far
more than that; I honestly don't know).

> Do they impact the calcul?

Evalglare has been verified in a study on a small office space.
I'm sure Jan has put some thought into the general application
for this new metric. You can find his dissertation here:

http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/veroeffentlichungen/nach-jahrgaengen/2010/buecher-und-beitraege-zu-buechern/dayligth-glare-in-offices

> So should i proceed a glare study only for the first 5m from the window?

I would first verify that evalglare produces reliable results
in this office space. And then just go ahead and test the
full depth of the office. If you get a low probability for glare
that's also something to show.

> How can i fix the warnings?

Nothing to fix; just make sure your using the right tool here.

Regards,
Thomas