[Radiance-general] Glare Calculation

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Nov 18 05:35:26 PST 2010

Hi!

>> - i'm doing a glare study for an office (10m depth). I think glare will not
>> be a problem for a person located at 9m away from the window, isn't it?
>> - when my calculation is completed, i've 2 warnings messages:
>>          low brightness scene
>>          vertical illumiance<  380 lux.
>
> If you assume a standard workplace lighting level you could
> introduce artificial lighting to raise the vertical illuminance to
> 500 lux. Evalglare might be happier with that (or it expects far
> more than that; I honestly don't know).

One note on the terminology, as this causes confusion often. Evalglare
intruduces illuminance on the eye plane (if you think of a human eye as
a flat sensor) into the calculation, which stabilizes results for
extended, non-uniform sources (window seen from close with a lot of
detail behind). This is referred to as vertical illuminance (as
illuminance on a vertical plane). And completely different from the
typically workplane illuminance, which would be referred to as
horizontal illuminance or illuminance that a infinitely small imaginary
horizontal surface at e.g. 0.9m heigth would receive.

Cheers, Lars.