[Radiance-general] import to Radiance

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu May 6 07:31:32 PDT 2010

Hi Jia and Lars,

A few thoughts here.

FBX
I think that if you are going to use fbx in your workflow from Revit,
unless you are using Max, you will need to use the FBX Converter, to
process the fbx to some other format, such as obj. Note though that the
FBX Converter does enable you to process fbx to older versions of the
fbx format. Perhaps with some experimentation you can determine which of
these might work with Rhino's fbx import capability.

DWG
The problem that I have noticed with dwg exported from Revit is that the
layer organization is vastly simplified, so that while the geometry will
all be there, it may not be broken out by layer the way you want and
trying to reorganize the geometry in Autocad is probably impractical.
FBX on the other hand does maintain correct material associations with
the type of work flow that I have outlined previously. NOTE however that
for some simulation purposes a model in dwg format and layering may be
perfectly sufficient!

REVIT
I think it is pretty obvious that Autodesk would like to achieve some
level of vendor lock-in across their product family (I think that for
the most part they have been successful in this regard looking at their
acquisitions and product offerings). Thus, all the pains (over the many
years) that we have had to deal with in trying to get usable geometry
out of applications such as Autocad and now Revit. I agree that there
are other good solutions for modeling that are probably more open in
terms of their import/export formats and other functionality. However,
my observation is that more and more architectural design firms are
moving towards Revit which I have to say actually produces models that
are reliable and reasonably well organized, to the extent that I feel
that we can actually make use of client produced models. I think that it
make a lot of sense to figure out how to leverage this model data from
Revit for simulation purposes, to do otherwise is impractical and
missing how the architectural design process/industry is evolving.

Regards,

-Jack de Valpine

--
# Jack de Valpine