[Radiance-general] Surface Depth Hallucination

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 09:42:57 PDT 2010

Hi Iebele,

The process to create a texture from flash/no-flash photography works,
but is fairly involved.  For some time, Mashhuda & I have been working
on creating a user interface to make the process more straightforward,
but it is still a work-in-progress after 2 years.

All I have at this point is a set of programs and scripts that rely on
dcraw and exiftool.  I have compiles for Mac OS X (10.4 and later, PPC
+Intel), but no easy way to copile on other platforms.  If I provided
these, you would still need some instructions on how to calibrate your
flash & lens, and probably a fair amount of hand-holding through the
process.

In addition to the single flash method described in the Siggraph paper
and my talk, there is a 3-flash method that works better, but requires
more hardware.  Here are the relevant papers:

Ward, Greg, M. Glencross, "A Case Study Evaluation: Perceptually
Accurate Textured Surface Models," Sixth Symposium on Applied
Perception in Graphics and Visualization (APGV), September 2009.
Glencross, Mashhuda, G. Ward, C. Jay, J. Liu, F. Melendez, R. Hubbold,
"A Perceptually Validated Model for Surface Depth Hallucination," ACM
Trans. Graph. (special issue SIGGRAPH 2008), August 2008.
I'm attaching some text describing the process for the single-flash
method.  If you're still interested after reading all this, and have a
Mac you want to try it on, I can provide the programs and scripts to
you in a separate e-mail.

Cheers,
-Greg