[Radiance-general] Surface Depth Hallucination

Iebele Abel iabel at iebele.nl
Tue Jun 8 10:32:14 PDT 2010

Hi Greg,

I've had read both articles, and the text describing the process looks
doable. We use the same camera and have several flashes. Using 1 flash seems
better now, since I am not able to build the 3-flash controller (maybe
later). Mac is fine.
Anyway, I would be glad to try it,

A soda-water cheers,

Iebele

2010/6/8, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com>:

>  Hi Iebele,
>

> The process to create a texture from flash/no-flash photography works, but
> is fairly involved.  For some time, Mashhuda & I have been working on
> creating a user interface to make the process more straightforward, but it
> is still a work-in-progress after 2 years.
>

> All I have at this point is a set of programs and scripts that rely on
> dcraw and exiftool.  I have compiles for Mac OS X (10.4 and later,
> PPC+Intel), but no easy way to copile on other platforms.  If I provided
> these, you would still need some instructions on how to calibrate your flash
> & lens, and probably a fair amount of hand-holding through the process.
>

> In addition to the single flash method described in the Siggraph paper and
> my talk, there is a 3-flash method that works better, but requires more
> hardware.  Here are the relevant papers:
>

>    1. Ward, Greg, M. Glencross, "A Case Study Evaluation: Perceptually
>    Accurate Textured Surface Models<http://www.anyhere.com/gward/papers/APGV09final.pdf>,"
>    Sixth Symposium on Applied Perception in Graphics and Visualization (APGV),
>    September 2009.
>    2. Glencross, Mashhuda, G. Ward, C. Jay, J. Liu, F. Melendez, R.
>    Hubbold, "A Perceptually Validated Model for Surface Depth
>    Hallucination<http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/research/daedalus/hallucination.php>
>    ," *ACM Trans. Graph. (special issue SIGGRAPH 2008)*, August 2008.
>
> I'm attaching some text describing the process for the single-flash method.
>  If you're still interested after reading all this, and have a Mac you want
> to try it on, I can provide the programs and scripts to you in a separate
> e-mail.
>
> Cheers,
> -Greg
>

>  From: Iebele Abel <iabel at iebele.nl>
> Date: June 8, 2010 8:19:08 AM PDT
>

>  Dear group,
>
> Two years after Greg's presentation (Fribourg 2008) on Surface Depth
> Hallucination, I would like to experiment with the suggested procedure
> within Radiance. The article "A Perceptually Validated Model for Surface
> Depth Hallucination" says ''Once we have an albedo map and a depth map for
> our surface, virtually any rendering algorithm may be applied. We use the
> Radiance
> physically-based renderer." Are there software or resources available which
> describe in more detail how albedo and depth maps can be achieved and used
> in Radiance?
>
> My best,
>
> Iebele

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Iebele Abel

Studio Iebele Abel
Kazernestraat 88
2514 CW  Den Haag