[Radiance-general] Re: Physically-based rendering using OpenGL?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 23:21:56 PDT 2010

The basic problem is that you need to have the entire scene
description available to every process, and GPU's don't work that
way.  They are optimized for SIMD (single-instruction, multiple-data)
processing, meaning that you run the same operation on many operands
simultaneously.  This is great if you are multiplying huge matrices
together, but not much use in a ray-tracing context.

Even if the GPU were optimized for this problem, much of what goes on
in Radiance is ray tree evaluation.  It all sort of happens together
-- you need to trace rays, figure out what to do at surfaces based on
material properties, evaluate .cal files, share ambient data (reading
and writing a shared cache) and all sorts of things that would have to
be completely rethought for a GPU implementation.

-Greg