[Radiance-general] Re: Physically-based rendering using OpenGL?

R Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 12 10:05:26 PDT 2010

Thank you. That makes it clear that something is possible. But what? As
of version 3.5, Mental Ray (the base of iray) had some serious
limitations in physically based rendering. In Labayrade and
Fontoynont's 2009 CIE 171:2006 testing, it could not, for instance,
simulate a clear sky. Iray is based on Mental Ray 3.8, and it is
possible that some of those problems have been resolved since version
3.5, but there does not seem to have been any testing published that
says so. Mental Image's iray site doesn't mention CIE 171. The
Luxrender site doesn't mention any testing at all. Are you aware of any
testing that shows accuracy of either of these tools in the physical
simulation of light?

Greg, have you looked at this at all?

Randolph

Ref: Labayrade, Raphael, and Marc Fontoynont. “Use of CIE 171:2006 Test
Cases to Assess the Scope of Lighting Simulation Programs.” CIE Light
and Lighting 2009, n.d. (Seen in preprint.)