[Radiance-general] glaze script limitation

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Dec 22 03:06:12 PST 2010

Hi Greg!

> script.  We probably should offer an option to enter custom
> transmittances and front&  back reflectance values for advanced
> users, and this wouldn't be too difficult to add.  I wonder if we
> could take pasted output from Optics, directly?  I don't know if they
> have a format that gives us the naked data, but I suppose we could
> extract it from the Optics output for Radiance.

I guess you are referring to the measured (spectrally resolved)
reflectance and transmittance data in the International Glazing DataBase
(IGDB) that is used by Optics? I have no idea why, but the data comes as
a MS Access database file. It is possible to open such files using
various open source tools, e.g. I managed to load it into Openoffice.
The database contains one table called GlazingProperties which is
probably the one to look for.

Actually I wonder whether one should hint the developers at migrating
that database to some SQL. That would not only make it possible to
connect other tools easily, but also would allow the maintainers to
update records of their database without redistributing the whole huge
download. That is actually what network connectivity of databases was
made for.

Cheers, Lars.