[Radiance-general] glaze script limitation

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 08:57:35 PST 2010

Hi Jack,

Would this really solve the problem?  Logically, it makes sense to allow the "clear" glass to be any uncoated glazing, but the way it's currently used in the script, it only serves as a reference point.  In fact, the first entry isn't used unless both surfaces of a pane are given as "clear".  The trouble, as I said, is that any coating on a different sort of glazing requires measurements of that _combination_.  I don't know how to compute the combined effect in the original example, below:

> I would like to model a double glazing system like the following:
>
> first pane
> surface 1: Crystal gray (Optics database number:  3056)
> surface 2: Crystal gray with a SunGuard Ag 43 coating (Optics: 3156)

For this, we need to employ Optics or Window 6 or extract their simulation engine.  What I was suggesting instead is that we permit the user to enter the transmittance and reflectances from Optics for the desired pane, substituting this for the database values we would normally use.  It sort of breaks the current interaction model for the user interface, but it would allow a little more flexibility as a benefit.

Does this make sense?

-Greg

P.S.  We can take this conversation offline or move it to dev if you like -- I'm not sure if it's of general interest to others on the list.