[Radiance-general] Instances

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Dec 13 02:40:38 PST 2010

Hi Lucio,

I have never heard about a case where ambient data became critical
memory-wise... Why do you think that there is a problem with memory in
your case? How much memory does the rpict process occupy?

If you have a lot of detail geometry that does not contribute
significantly to the diffuse-indirect illumination of your scene, you
can use the ambient exclude parameters of rpict/rtrace (-ae and -aE).

If you use too many instances, or if you create them in a wrong way,
they will slow down the rendering. Each time a ray hits an instance
(passes the bounding cube it fits into), it has to check for collisions
with any surface inside that instance. So if you have a lot of
overlapping instances with little geometry contained in each, or
instances with a bad ration of width/length/height, a lot of unnecessary
intersection checks will happen. Instances improve memory efficiency at
the cost of rendering time. It is important to balance the two. So only
pack compact, high-res geometry into instances.

Cheers, Lars.