[Radiance-general] Fritted glass script for Radiance

biro0013 at umn.edu biro0013 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 15 20:55:59 PST 2009

Dear Galen,

I have been following your discussion regarding modeling of glazing types
and was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. Your
discussion so far seems rather relevant to the issue with which I am
concerned. I have little familiarity with Radiance or writing scripts for
Radiance, however.

I am doing a comparative study of glazing types for illuminance levels on
the interior of a large atrium space lighted by a barrel vaulted skylight.
I am using Ecotect and exporting to Radiance, allowing Radiance to render
the image and then re-importing the point data back into Ecotect for
graphic representation and interpretation. The specific glass types I am
trying to model are Viracon's VE340, VE340 with 30% grey frit and VE340
with 50% grey frit. Viracon provided the .rad files from Optics, but the
results I am obtaining don't seem to correlate. I suspect it has something
to do with the Optics output and how it deals with a frit. I have attached
the files and was hoping you could provide some insight.

Sincerely,

Ted Biro