[Radiance-general] Exporting file from Ecotect to Radiance

Sean Mooney Sean.Mooney at BuroHappold.com
Sun Feb 15 04:55:22 PST 2009

On 14 Feb 2009, at 01:57, Krystyna Zelenay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just uninstalled Desktop Radiance and installed the MinGW
> version on my computer (Windows OS). I have been informed that this
> is the latest version of Radiance for Windows OS. Unfortunately I
> now have trouble reading images exported from Ecotect.
> When I export the Ecotect example file "RADIANCE_example.eco" I am
> able to see a rendered view of the space in the image viewer, but I
> cannot run any of the options for the information overlay (e.g.
> contour lines, false color, daylight factors etc.) and get the
> message "RGBE read error"

This might be useful, refer to the following site:
http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ie/lighting/daylight/daysim_e.html

On the right under the Column click on the 'Getting Started' PDF link.

Navigate to page 26 (headed Radiance), steps 27-37 provide a walk through of how Ecotect exports to Radiance and the built in Radiance viewer that comes with Ecotct to create false-color images.

Step 37 'Info' box describes the RGBE error and suggests a possible way to fix it.

> When exporting the file from Ecotect, I noticed that when checking
> whether Radiance is functional, the exporter returned a message
> saying that the application "rview" is missing from the directory.
> Could this be the problem? If so, what are alternative ways for
> evaluating the radiance image?

Step 30a shows the procedure to set-up Ecotect to export to Radiance and how to point to correct directory.

Regards
Sean Mooney
Buro Happold
The Father Mathew Hall