[Radiance-general] Exporting file from Ecotect to Radiance

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Sat Feb 14 02:30:43 PST 2009

Hi Krystyna.

On 14 Feb 2009, at 01:57, Krystyna Zelenay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just uninstalled Desktop Radiance and installed the MinGW
> version on my computer (Windows OS). I have been informed that this
> is the latest version of Radiance for Windows OS. Unfortunately I
> now have trouble reading images exported from Ecotect.
> When I export the Ecotect example file "RADIANCE_example.eco" I am
> able to see a rendered view of the space in the image viewer, but I
> cannot run any of the options for the information overlay (e.g.
> contour lines, false color, daylight factors etc.) and get the
> message "RGBE read error"

Unfortunately 'falsecolor' (which is the master tool behind most
of these overlays) is not distributed with the MinGW binaries
because it is a CSH-script that does not run on Windows. Therefore
the ImageViewer bundled with Ecotect can not generate this type
of analysis.

There is another picture viewer around which is based on
Python and that seems to be the best option to create
falsecolor images on Windows at the moment:

Raddisplay - http://www.deluminaelab.com/en/tools.html

It requires some time to setup, though.

> When exporting the file from Ecotect, I noticed that when checking
> whether Radiance is functional, the exporter returned a message
> saying that the application "rview" is missing from the directory.
> Could this be the problem? If so, what are alternative ways for
> evaluating the radiance image?

The application 'rview' is now called 'rvu' and AFAIK it has
not been ported to Windows.

There have been some significant changes to the Radiance
applications since Desktop Radiance has been released. This
affects mostly the rendering process, though. The image format
is still the same and you should be able to open a 'new'
image in the old 'rview'. You could try to copy the missing
applications from your DR installation over to the MinGW
installation and see if that solves your problem.

Regards,
Thomas