[Radiance-general] mkillum illuminating outside?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:20:52 PST 2009

Hi Lars,

Nice that I slept through this one, too...  Your debugging tips are
helpful.  Another way to determine whether you are looking at the
back or front of a surface is in rvu, which reports the first surface
hit (even if it's invisible) and tells you back or front.  This is
only for materials that care which side you hit, like lights, illums,
dielectric, etc.  Plastic and metal won't let you know.  The only way
to tell for these surfaces is to turn backface visibility off with -
bv0.  This can cause your scene to look a bit confused, so I only
recommend it as a last resort.

Best,
-Greg