[Radiance-general] Problem with refraction in Dielectric material

francesco.frontini at polimi.it francesco.frontini at polimi.it
Thu Aug 20 05:58:39 PDT 2009

Dear all,
I am running a simulation test to asses if Radiance calculates
correctly the refraction inside a dielectric material. (Snell law
n1*sin(A1) = n2sin(A2) ).

I build up two identical geometry one with a dielectric pane and the
second without. The direct light can pass through a gap between two
plastic surfaces.

Using just direct calculation (sun) I should have two identical bright
stripes in dimension but the one passing through the dielectric panel
should be shifted due to the refraction in the dielectric pane.

I copy and paste down the geometry and the material definition.

I am running the following command:

cat  sensor.grd  |rtrace -h -I -ab 0  test-1.oct  | rcalc -e
'$1=47.4*$1+120*$2+11.6*$3'  > test-1-sensor1.out

the file sensor.grd is the list of my sensor:

X Y Z  0 0 1

where:

"X" is 2500 (for the case of the dielectric panel) or 7500 (for the
case without the dielectric panel)

"Y" is changing between 10 and 5000 (with a step of 0.1)

"Z" is 0.01

the simulation results are not clear to me.

--------------

!gensky -ang 45 0 +s

void plastic ConcFlr_Tiles_Suspended

5 	0.576 0.604 0.396   0.0 0.0

void plastic BrickPlaster

5 	0.898 0.898 0.898   0.0 0.0

void dielectric Glass

5 	0.90 0.9 .900   1.520 0.0

Glass polygon zone01.up

15
  	0.0  0.0  5000.0
  	5000.0  0.0  5000.0
  	5000.0  8.0  5000.0
  	0.0  8.0  5000.0
  	0.0  0.0  5000.0

Glass polygon zone01.west

15
  	0.0  0.0  0.0
  	0.0  8.0  0.0
  	5000.0  8.0  0.0
  	5000.0  0.0  0.0
  	0.0  0.0  0.0

Glass polygon zone01.nord

12
  	5000.0  8.0  5000.0
  	5000.0  8.0  0.0
  	0.0  8.0  0.0
  	0.0  8.0  5000.0

Glass polygon zone01.south

12
  	0.0  0.0  5000.0
  	0.0  0.0  0.0
  	5000.0  0.0  0.0
  	5000.0  0.0  5000.0

Glass polygon zone01.est

12
  	5000.0  0.0  5000.0
  	5000.0  0.0  0.0
  	5000.0  8.0  0.0
  	5000.0  8.0  5000.0

Glass polygon zone01.botton

12
  	0.0  8.0  5000.0
  	0.0  8.0  0.0
  	0.0  0.0  0.0
  	0.0  0.0  5000.0

BrickPlaster polygon panel-1a

12
  	0.0  4.0 0.0
  	5000.0  4.0  0.0
  	5000.0 4.0  2450.0
	0.0 4.0  2450.0

BrickPlaster polygon panel-1b

12
  	0.0  4.0 2550.0
  	5000.0  4.0  2550.0
  	5000.0 4.0  5000.0
  	0.0 4.0  5000.0

ConcFlr_Tiles_Suspended polygon zone02.rad00008

15
  	5000.0  8.0  0.0
  	5000.0  10008.0  0.0
  	10000.0  10008.0  0.0
  	10000.0  8.0  0.0
  	5000.0  8.0  0.0

ConcFlr_Tiles_Suspended polygon ceiling

15
  	0.0  8.0  5000.0
  	0.0  10008.0  5000.0
  	10000.0  10008.0  5000.0
  	10000.0  8.0  5000.0
  	0.0  8.0  5000.0

BrickPlaster polygon panel-2a

12
  	5000.0  4.0 0.0
  	10000.0  4.0  0.0
	10000.0 4.0  2450.0
  	5000.0 4.0  2450.0

BrickPlaster polygon panel-2b

12
  	5000.0  4.0 2550.0
  	10000.0  4.0  2550.0
  	10000.0 4.0  5000.0
  	5000.0 4.0  5000.0

ConcFlr_Tiles_Suspended polygon zone02.rad00011

15
  	0.0  8.0  0.0
  	0.0  10008.0  0.0
  	5000.0  10008.0  0.0