[Radiance-general] out of memory in avstore

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:21:55 PDT 2008

Hi Casper et al.,

I need a little more information about the material on the inside of
the light pipes.  Is it diffuse?  If not, then you probably don't
need all the ambient bounces.  Even if it is, Jack's idea for using
mkillum is a good one.  I'd try putting the illum surface on the
interior portal first, and set mkillum -aa 0 so there's no ambient
storage, decreasing other parameters to mkillum accordingly, e.g.:

	mkillum -ab 0 -ad 256 -as 0 -ab 4

This will perform a pure Monte Carlo calculation in mkillum, which
will avoid the storage problem and still give you reasonable results.

As Jack points out, light pipes are not really Radiance's forte, and
down the line there will be better options, like using rtcontrib in a
more general ray-tracing precalculation.  Right now, you're sort of
stuck with mkillum.  If your interior surfaces are mirror-like, then
you may also avail yourself of the "mirror" type to handle redirected
sunlight, but only if you expect that.

Best,
-Greg