[Radiance-general] Re: Official Radiance 3.9 Release

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Thu May 1 20:36:48 PDT 2008

Again, Thank you to the developers, and especially to Greg, for
continuing to care enough about Radiance and the Radiance
community, and for putting forth the effort to keep this
beautiful thing going. You are giants to me.

more...

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Greg Ward wrote:
> Re-fixed bug in octree code that caused it to allocate 8 times as
> much memory as it actually used(!) -- this was pointed out way back
> in 1999 by Erik Reinhard and Erik Jansen, but the fix they gave me
> got lost in the slightly broken release process at the time.  This
> should make a big difference in memory usage, especially for the
> new mesh primitive.  (I measured 30% less memory usage.)

Octree memory requirements have been the primary limiter of the
complexity of the models that I use in my art. So much so that I
wrote a special program to take my 25-million-triangle meshes and
break them up smoothly into 1-million-tri chunks before feeding
them to obj2mesh! I'm going to need to go back and try some
things anew.

As a side note, I was just notified today that one of my video
works (rendered by Radiance) was accepted to SIGGRAPH this year:

Low quality, bad aspect ratio, on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/v/YEyND_MPRwo

Higher-quality, 175 MB, but might not play everywhere:
http://mark.technolope.org/transfer/out8_169.m2v

Mark