[Radiance-general] Re: Official Radiance 3.9 Release

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:53:25 PDT 2008

I neglected to mention in my announcement the significant changes
since the last 3.8 release (Oct. 2004):

Added -spec option to falsecolor to restore original spectral color
scale.
Also added "-s auto" option to automatically set the maximum value.

Re-fixed bug in octree code that caused it to allocate 8 times as
much memory as it actually used(!) -- this was pointed out way back
in 1999 by Erik Reinhard and Erik Jansen, but the fix they gave me
got lost in the slightly broken release process at the time.  This
should make a big difference in memory usage, especially for the
new mesh primitive.  (I measured 30% less memory usage.)

Fixed bug in shadow cache where it was adding surfaces with antimatter
holes cut in them to the obstructor list.  Thanks to John Mardaljevic
for discovering and reporting the problem.

Adding ability in mkillum to incorporate BSDF data in calculation.
Internal interface (raypcalls) now used in place of rtrace process(es).

Added -c option to rtcontrib to facilitate cumulative calculations.

****** COMPATIBILITY CHANGE ********
Fixed long-standing bug in source.cal, which caused it to produce
reversed anisotropic photometric distributions due to the
misorientation of the y-axis.  Thanks to Zack Rogers for discovering
and helping debug this problem.

Added rsensor program to compute sensor signal for daylighting controls.
Funding for this component was provided by the Architectural Energy
Corporation in Boulder, CO, and directed by Zack Rogers.

Added "planisphere" (stereographic) fisheye view type for traditional
daylighting analysis.  Feature requested & explained by Axel Jacobs.

Of these, the addition of the rsensor program for SPOT and the new
BSDF input for mkillum are probably the most important.  Thanks is
due to AEC and LBL for sponsoring these developments.

The complete list of changes for all releases is available at:

	http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/refer/Notes/ReleaseNotes.html

Cheers,
-Greg

P.S.  With help from Peter A-B, I've finished updating radiance-
online so the HEAD patches are relative to the new 3.9 release.