[Radiance-general]Directional reflectance of glass

Christian Humann chumann at broadviewnet.net
Mon Mar 17 18:51:09 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm trying to simulate the occurrence of direct beam convergence; where
sun hitting a concave, east facing, glass facade is redirected to form a
"hot-spot" on the ground plane.  I have a photograph, and the time
taken, of the building in question forming a hot spot as well as a 3D
model. Using the "mirror" material type I can get an approximate
facsimile, but not with the "glass" material. I've tried the glass using
"mkillum" and setting -ar 0 but I still can't "fry" those ants.

I'm under the impression that Radiance only considers the glass'
reflected diffuse component, and not the direct (although I can see the
sun's reflection in the glass)?  While close, I don't believe the
"mirror" material will give the accuracy we're looking for due to the
difference in effect the angle of incidence has on the amount of light
redirected off the two materials.  Any thoughts, advice or observations
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.and regards.

Chris Humann