[Radiance-general] Re: Directional reflectance of glass

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Mon Mar 17 18:30:23 PDT 2008

Hi Chris,

Radiance doesn't find the illumination of the sun off the glass
material because the sun is too small to locate with random (Monte
Carlo) sampling.  The "mirror" type is the one to use, and you can
account for the effect of angle on reflection by including an
appropriate brightfunc pattern.  Assuming standard 88% transmittance
glass, this would be:

void glass glass_alt_mat
0
0
3 0.96 0.96 0.96

void brightfunc glass_angular_effect
2 A1+(1-A1)*(exp(-5.85*Rdot)-0.00287989916) .
0
1 0.08

glass_angular_effect mirror glass_mat
1 glass_alt_mat
0
3 1 1 1

The Fresnel approximation for unpolarized light was lifted out of src/
rt/normal.c.  To change the reflectance of your glazing, you have to
change both the glass_alt_mat definition and the 0.08 normal
reflectance value in glass_angular_effect.

Hope this helps.
-Greg