[Radiance-general] Ximage illuminance readings

steve michel smichel_designer at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 18:56:26 PDT 2008

Greg,

Thanks for confirming the conversion factor..that was a the gap in my knowledge of radiance.  Now,  without getting into into sordid details, the scene pic in question has a skylight and some T5 direct/indirect lighting. From the rendered night and day pics all seems well with ximage's human exposure setting corroborating with what  I would expect. The daytime pic shows strong illumination on the  work plane but yields a 'lux' value lower than I expected (250 to 300). I did not use a secondary lightsource for the skylight.  With a night, with only the T5 luminaires (ies2rad in meters), which, from manufacturer's data and experience, should give a 300 to 500lux illuminance, gives me a reading approx. 40lux(?).

I tried rtrace (courtesy of man pages) with ximage -t command on the daytime pic
$ ximage office-i.pic | rtrace  -h  -x  1  -i office2xx.oct | rcalc -e '$1=47.4*$1+120*$2+11.6*$3'
18.3891712
21.1014687
20.6663913
???

I like ximage's interactive features, but something may be missing in that pipe  to rcalc.

Im using radiance to better (re)present my interior designs but
feel out place here using scientific instruments for my art supplies

thnks always
Steve