[Radiance-general] Problem installing radiance onto Mac OSX-Leopard: running trad

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Mon Mar 10 02:04:32 PDT 2008

On 10 Mar 2008, at 06:06, Terrance Mc Minn wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Problem installing radiance onto Mac OSX-Leopard: running trad (I
> am a Linux
> user)

[...]

> However, this year, a number of students have asked to install
> radiance on
> their MAC notebooks - easy says I ...

it generally is

> So far no trouble in the 10 minutes between classes however I came
> unstuck
> with the TRAD program - appears to run but bombs out with glob
> errors -
> sorry don't have the student's machine here to give more
> information. What I
> do know, is that unknown to the student, X11 was pre-installed as
> was some
> version of wish. The OS version was Mac OSX Leopard.

I have Tiger here but I see the same problem.

I just googled and man-paged a bit and it seems that wish is not started
correctly. If you can call wish directly with trad as argument and it
works
that might be your problem, too. Try

	wish /usr/local/bin/trad    # or wherever trad is installed

This might be enough on it's own for you. If you want to allow students
to type simply 'trad' at the command prompt replace the #!/usr/bin/wish
line in trad with

	#!/bin/sh
         # the next line restarts using wish \
         exec wish "$0" "$@"

This is straight out of the man page. It starts the GUI but I haven't
used trad in a long time and I haven't tested if it crashes further down
the line.

Let your students test it. That's what they're there for.

Thomas