[Radiance-general] Problem installing radiance onto Mac OSX-Leopard: running trad

Terrance Mc Minn t.mcminn at curtin.edu.au
Sun Mar 9 23:06:31 PDT 2008

Hello All,

Problem installing radiance onto Mac OSX-Leopard: running trad (I am a Linux
user)

We use Radiance in our undergrad classes in the 3rd year of both the
Architecture and Interior Architecture courses here at Curtin University in
Perth, Western Australia.

For teaching, I have authored a version Knoppix 5.1.1 with the radiance
software (radiance-HEAD-2007-02-15) pre installed for the students use. In
the PC labs, the students use vmplayer with the ISO image. At home, they are
free to burn the ISO image or download vmplayer from www.vmware.com and take
home the ISO file and appliance. For modelling software - SketchUP 6 (Pro or
Free) with T. Bleicher's su2rad plug-in and model_location1.0.rb plug-in for
those that use the SketchUP 6 (Free) version at home.

However, this year, a number of students have asked to install radiance on
their MAC notebooks - easy says I ...
1)	Download the MAC binaries from radiance-online.org
(rad3R8_macosx.tar.gz)
2)	Extract my additional resources
3)	Jump into terminal on the MAC (please bear with me - I don't have a
MAC to play with but am comfortable with Linux OS)
4)	Un-tar the binaries, extensions and my additional resources into the
users directory.
5)	Create a .profile with the additional PATH and RAYPATH directives.

So far no trouble in the 10 minutes between classes however I came unstuck
with the TRAD program - appears to run but bombs out with glob errors -
sorry don't have the student's machine here to give more information. What I
do know, is that unknown to the student, X11 was pre-installed as was some
version of wish. The OS version was Mac OSX Leopard.

On the Knoppix 5.1.1 trad runs happily with wish8.4 straight up on a clean
install.

Do any of the Mac users have suggestions as to running trad - a vital front
end in our teaching program? At this beginner's level, my students find the
trad GUI much more comfortable than the command line allowing them to
concentrate on learning and using radiance for lighting investigations in a
10 hour sub unit in the science unit. As we all know when using trad,
students will still need to use the command line at various points.

Regards

Terry Mc Minn
Faculty of Built Environment, Art and Design
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U 1987 Perth 6845
Western Australia
Email: T.Mcminn at curtin.edu.au