[Radiance-general] Slow rendering with transparant textures

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Jul 30 01:01:14 PDT 2008

> Does this make sense?

Yes, it does ;-) thank you for the explanation Greg! You know that I
have a model making rather intensive use of textures here (the Hagia
Sophia model), and I was wondering if there were some techniques to
apply for a speed-up. But as we do not combine cal-files at all, just
map one image per object, I do not see such a possibility any more. It
might make sense to have simplified colorpict modifiers doing the most
frequently used transformations hard-coded, without calling to the
cal-file interpreter - e.g. a colorpictxy, colorpict xz and colorpict yz
modifier which would allow to do all mapping in orthogonal models
without cal-files. But it would break e.g. xform for such modifiers, and
create a mess in the scene language while few models really have a
problem with too many mappings. So we have to live with slow mappings ;-)

BTW, as it is related to textures and came to my mind some days ago - it
should be quite doable to modify the source of mkillum in a way that it
outputs polygons with a prerendered ambient calculation mapped onto
them, right? It would be one step towards a nice vrml/x3d-export from
radiance scenes, as the x3d- / vrml-viewer could render the direct
light, while the view-point independent ambient calculation would be
left to radiance. The only problem would be the need of correct surface
normals for the whole model.

CU Lars.